Monday, November 10, 2014

Seattle Week 2 Nov.10, 2014

Hello once Again!

The first week here went by really slowly but also very quickly and I am adjusting to missionary life outside of the MTC quite nicely. I don't care what anyone says, the MTC and actual mission field are quite different.

I have met some very interesting people here in Seattle. Most people we attempt to contact on the street are either not interested or just avoid us entirely. BUT! My first official street contact turned into an appointment to tour the church and talk (a sneaky way of teaching the first vision/restoration:) but unfortunately the investigator never showed.

We are also teaching an investiGAYtor. Figure that one out for yourself. He has promise and is progressing (I feel slowly) decently. Most of our investigators and contacts are all YSA referrals because most everyone in this area is single and going to college. I found out yesterday that our ward has A LOT of young couples. (It's really weird compared to my home ward. Most people we teach are over 30.

I am learning to navigate here! I had issues with north because I'm so used to having the mountains there to guide me. Here there are mountains but 99% of the time they are covered in fog and clouds. The sun has shone for almost 3 straight days! It's a lot colder here when the sun shines because the clouds aren't there to hold the heat in.

I find it interesting that in this area there are a lot of converts and baptisms but the issue is retention of those. There are A LOT of inactive members in the are. Never fear! The missionaries are here!

I don't have much else to say right now... I'll try to do better next week! I love you all!

Go forth and Serve!

Elder Thacker


P.S. This is a link to a talk my mission president gave in General Conference in 2009. I haven't read it yet but I'm sure its great!


I forgot to add a couple of things to my email.

The ward mission leaders daughter is named: Emma! Crazy right? It gets better. His next door neighbors (the Walkers I think) daughter's name is Tessa! I just thought that was odd:)

Also, Elder Hillman and I had to speak in Sacrament meeting this week. Nothing serious, just our testimonies but it let the ward get to know me 

No comments:

Post a Comment